Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rhyming the time away in Iraq


From PFC. Junior Buchanan of Madison, who is 6,415 miles from home serving in a Wisconsin National Guard unit at Camp Cropper, Iraq.

I came with the 32nd and I'm doing detainee ops just like the rest. I was deployed right after completion of my AIT (Advanced Individual Training). I was only home for 5 or 6 days before going on orders. I didn't know till the last minute that I was getting deployed -- kinda sucked but i cooperated with it. It was hard, but it's part of the job I guess.

I have been writing my own music since I was about 12 or 13 with my cousins. Writing music helps make my time here pass faster and a little more enjoyable. My family has a lot of musical talent in it -- singing and also hip hop (rap) and dancing.

Thank you for taking interest in my songs. I love what I do and take pride in making it sound good. I was on active duty orders before I joined the guard. did basic AIT and now Iraq. When I get home for good I would have been back and forth only spending a week or two or a few days at home for about a year and 6 months.

- Junior